1 Head of Cauliflower, chopped
6–8 Kale leaves
2 Tablespoons of butter
2 Tablespoons of flour
2 Cups of whole milk
2 Cups of grated gruyere cheese, reserve ½ cup for topping
1 ½ Cups of grated parmesan, reserve ½ cup for topping
1 tsp of minced fresh thyme
1 tsp of minced fresh rosemary
3 Garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp of freshly cracked pepper
¼ tsp of cayenne
¼ tsp of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Chop cauliflower head up in small chunks. Blanch cauliflower chunks by boiling for 3 minutes and transferring chunks with a slotted spoon to an ice bath (a large bowl filled with ½ water and ½ ice).
- Continue the same blanching process with kale, but only boil for 30 seconds to – 1 minute, transfer kale to ice bath. Chop kale and drain all water from the cauliflower.
- In a large saucepan simmer butter and flour together to make a “roux” When mixture looks like cookie dough consistency and light brown in color, pour milk and whisk constantly. Bring mixture to a strong simmer and thickened in consistency.
- Remove roux from heat and add thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, and cheeses until melted.
- Mix cheese sauce, cauliflower, and kale together in a large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and bake for 45-60 minutes or until cheese has browned on top.
Keywords: side dish, low carb, vegetable