2 Sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 Cups of granulated sugar
2 Large eggs + 2 yolks
Zest of one lemon
Juice from two lemons, strained
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
1 Teaspoon of kosher salt
1 Cup of buttermilk
1 Cup of diced strawberries
2 Tablespoons of flour
1 Cup of lemon curd
1 Cup of freeze dried strawberries (I bought mine from Trader Joes)
2 1/2 Sticks of unsalted butter at room temp
4–5 Cups of powdered sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
1/4 Cup of half and half
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and whisk well.
- In a separate large bowl fitted with a hand or stand mixer beat butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and egg yolks one at a time with your mixer on low. Add in vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined.
- In 3 separate increments add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, alternating and finishing with the last flour addition. In a small bowl toss together your diced strawberries and 2 tablespoons of flour. Fold strawberry chunks gently into cake batter.
- Pour batter evenly into two cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Cool for thirty minutes and remove from cake tins to finish cooling on a wire baking rack.
- In a food processor of vitamix, blend freeze dried strawberries until a powder consistency is reached. In a large bowl fitted with a stand or hand mixer beat butter until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add vanilla extract, salt, and 1/3 of powdered sugar to butter mixture until fluffy. Add in a tablespoon of half and half at a time after powdered sugar. If frosting is still or you live in a dry climate add two at a time. If you live in a humid climate, you may need less.
- Continue to add powdered sugar and half and half in two separate increments and mix until light and fluffy. Add in freeze dried strawberries as the last addition.
- Assemble cake layers and pipe a ‘dam’ around the rim of the cake with a ziplock bag or piping bag. Fill inner circle with lemon curd and frost evenly with strawberry buttercream. Optional: top off with fresh berries and lemons slices.