A fresh take on a classic tostada salad recipe. This plant-based chopped tostada salad with avocado cilantro dressing is a flavorful and healthy recipe for the new year!
Say hello to the first College Housewife salad recipe of 2019! I know how much you guys love a salad recipe. Some of your favs from last year were this spring style cobb, a fun mexican caesar salad, and this fall harvest salad! I find salads to be very exciting and fun! Even if you’re trying to eat healthier or plant-based the options are seriously endless! I’m biased and a true Californian, but I think Mexican style salads are the best. A hearty salad is a great option to add on your healthy new years menu (if you’re on a health kick that is). I’m a walking new years cliche over here lolz.
I have dedicated the next few weeks to cleaning up our house (thank you Marie Kondo!) and our bodies! It felt so good to clean up the holiday madness and get back to normal. I don’t know about you guys but taking down the holiday decorations always feels like my house has been rebirthed, ya know?! Everything is suddenly fresh and crisp again and you see your house in a whole new light. It’s been so wonderful! Plus my ‘Marie Kondo’ inspired organizing spree #thankyounetflix has made me feel more zen in my home than any facial or massage ever has. Yes, that good! Highly recommend an organizing binge for the new year, you won’t regret it!
After our house was back in working order I decided to tackle the kitchen and pantry. It seemed like for the entire month of December I was regularly having champagne, cheese boards and cookies. I have absolutely no regrets, it was such a blast. In my efforts to create some balance for myself I have decided to do a thorough clean of my refrigerator and pantry and fill it back up with healthy weeknight staples. Which means tons of greens, fresh veggies, legumes, kombucha, dark chocolate and a fresh pack of plant-based Alpha Burritos for my lazy nights.
Whenever I make new weeknight recipes I always put them in what I call ‘rotation’. Basically I just make the recipe like twice a week until I get sort of tired of it and then put it back in rotation again. Do you guys do this?! What are your weeknight dinner rotation staples? This month I am all about this chopped salad with creamy avocado cilantro dressing. This month is extra tough to get back on the grind for me because I am so used to eating such epic flavors from the holidays that it’s tough to go cold turkey.
Luckily, this salad is healthy for my body and also tastes incredible! I made sure to put tons of veggies in for texture and flavor but the star of the show is the zesty avocado cilantro dressing. I could literally put this on everything! I have been serving up this salad with a huge side of dressing and I grill up a few plant-based Alpha Burritos for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. These burritos pack some mega flavor and I always feel great knowing I’m keeping the night plant-based. Perfect for #meatlessmondays. The Chik’n Fajita and Mexicali burrito flavors are my go to on Mexican night. Use this store locator to find where your nearest retailer is! I always pick mine up at Sprouts and Ralph’s during my weekly instacart order.
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 Cup of fire roasted corn
- ½ Cup of pico de gallo
- 1 Cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced (deseed if you want it less spicy!)
- 3-4 Radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Corn Tostadas
- 1 Ripe avocado
- ½ Lime, juiced
- ⅓ Cup of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of agave nectar
- ½ Teaspoon of salt ½ of a jalapeno, minced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- In a Vitamix or blender add in all dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Taste test the dressing and add in more salt if necessary. Place into a mason jar and place into the refrigerator. Shake up right before serving.
- In a large bowl, add in all of the romaine lettuce as the base of the salad. Layer on top the vegetables and beans. Right before serving, add in the sliced avocado. Serve with the avocado cilantro dressing and plant-based Alpha Burritos!