These Fried Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives are a crispy, crunchy, salty, savory recipe that makes the perfect starter. These poppable little guys are paired with homemade garlic aioli for an unforgettable appetizer best served during Christmas or New Year’s Eve.
1 – 5.5 oz jar Green California olives
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
Cracked black pepper
2 eggs, whisked
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup mayonnaise
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of kosher salt
- Stuff olives: Gently open olives and stuff a small piece of blue cheese inside. Close the two olive sides together and place them onto a paper towel-lined plate. Continue with the remaining olives.
- Prep breading station: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, garlic powder, salt and cracked black pepper and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and set aside. Finally, place panko bread crumbs into a third bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil: In a large heavy bottom skillet, add in enough oil to fill the skillet ⅓ of the way up the pan. Heat oil until a deep fryer thermometer reaches 350 F.
- Coat with flour: When oil is ready, place 5-8 olives in the bowl with the flour. Toss gently with a slotted spoon or fork until olives are covered with flour.
- Toss in egg and breadcrumbs: Place the olives in the bowl with the beaten egg, being sure to coat each olive with egg. With a different slotted spoon (or fork), transfer the olives to the breadcrumb mixture and, using yet another fork, turn the olives gently to cover with the breadcrumbs.
- Fry olives: Place the olives in the hot oil and fry for 30-45 seconds, or until golden brown. Very gently stir the olives in the oil so all sides fry evenly. Transfer the olives to the paper-towel-covered plate to cool a few minutes before serving. Repeat until all olives are fried.
- Make the aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and kosher salt until well combined. Serve on the side with the olives.
Make-Ahead: Follow the steps above and refrigerate the olives. When ready to serve, heat in a 400 degree F oven for 2-3 minutes, or until warm and crispy.
Keywords: deep fried, salty, easy