These unique Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls celebrate Spring with a twist on the classic. Fluffy, gooey and mouthwatering for Easter and Mother’s Day brunch!
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted + cooled
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature, slightly beaten
4½ cups all-purpose flour
Carrot Cake Filling
⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened + 1 tablespoon melted for topping
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 carrots, peeled and finely grated
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup salted butter
4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup milk or cream
For Cinnamon Rolls
- Dissolve yeast into warm milk for 5 minutes, or until foamy. While yeast is dissolving, combine brown sugar, butter, salt, and eggs into a large bowl. Mix in two cups of flour, and then mix in yeast + milk mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. The dough should be elastic, but not sticky. Sprinkle flour over a large surface and knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, well-greased bowl (I sprayed mine with Pam) and cover with two clean dish towels without touching the dough. Place in a dry area for an hour to double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch down the dough and roll out into a large 15×9 rectangle on a floured surface. Spread evenly with softened butter, brown sugar, shredded carrots, raisins, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Very gently roll dough together. Cut slices about 1 inch thick and arrange close together in a greased casserole dish or on a large baking sheet. Brush the tops and sides of rolls with melted butter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly golden.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl fitted with a hand mixer or the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add in room temp butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Beat for 2-3 minutes. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream after every sugar addition. Spread evenly onto warm cinnamon rolls!
To Make In Advance: If making cinnamon rolls the night before, skip step 3 and wrap your baking sheet or casserole dish filled with cinnamon rolls extremely tight with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. One hour before baking, remove rolls from the refrigerator and let rolls come to room temperature before baking.
Keywords: carrot cake cinnamon rolls, iced cinnamon buns, cinnamon rolls recipe