These easy Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are packed with tons of flavor from the Chipotle BBQ sauce and taste just as if you were eating pulled pork! Oh, and they just so happen to be vegan! Served in warm corn tortillas and topped with mango guacamole, it’s a healthy and lighter meat-free alternative that will fool all your friends!
New year, fresh recipes!
Hello, AH-mazing jackfruit tacos. Have you guys ever had jackfruit before? I can be skeptical about ‘meat alternatives,’ but I love that this fruit tastes just liked pulled pork or chicken. And when you slather a bunch of BBQ sauce and mango guacamole on top, it makes this unique fruit all the more enjoyable.
I made this Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Taco recipe for Jared last week and he thought it was pulled pork! He couldn’t even taste the difference! That’s how amazing it is.
It serves as a great meat alternative for those wanting to eat a bit lighter and healthier this time of year.
Does Jackfruit Taste Like Meat?
Yes and no. The taste is very unique, kind of sweet, but also savory. In my opinion, it’s more the jackfruit’s texture that makes you think it’s meat over anything else. Jackfruit is so similar to pulled pork or chicken. Try making these jackfruit tacos for some of your friends and see if they notice the difference!
Does Jackfruit Have Protein?
No, not really. That’s the one downside of serving these jackfruit tacos as a meat alternative. Although it is totally healthy and low calorie (only 157 calories in 1 cup!), there’s barely any protein in it to make it a good source. I say get your protein in from other sources throughout the day and make this for dinner that night! Such a lovely, vegan weeknight meal.
How Do You Make Trader Joe’s Jackfruit?
Okay, so this is where the shortcut comes in. You guys know how I feel about Trader Joe’s! Well, believe or not, but they have Trader Joe’s Green Jackfruit in Brine that makes this meat-free taco recipe that much easier! You want the green variety because this is the unripe fruit, which is much better for savory dishes.
It acts pretty much the same way as tofu. The jackfruit tacos take on the flavor of whatever sauce you cook it in. That’s why one of my favorite ways is to cook it in BBQ sauce. And adding Chipotle just takes it over the top! Eventually, it breaks down and shreds to the texture of pulled pork. Piled high in warm corn tortillas and topped with mango guacamole, it’s simply perfection!
Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Tacos Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Red Onion
- Jackfruit, in Brine, preferrably Trader Joe’s Green Jackfruit in Brine
- An Array of Spices, including Cumin, Paprika, Oregano
- Canned Chipotle Adobo Liquid
- Light Beer
- Vegetable (to keep it Vegan) or Chicken Broth
- Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Mango Guac (recipe below)
- Corn Tortillas
How To Make Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Taco Recipe
- For the jackfruit taco ‘meat’, in a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5-10 minutes, or until transluscent.
- Add jackfruit, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, and chipotle adobo liquid. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add beer, broth and cook another 10-15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has cooked off. Stir in BBQ sauce and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- For the mango guac, in a molcajete, smash avocados until chunky and creamy. Add red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and cilantro. Top with mango chunks.
- Heat corn tortillas over an open flame. Top with two spoonfuls of chipotle BBQ jackfruit taco filling and a dollop of mango guacamole. Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side!
How To Store These Jackfruit Tacos
It’s best to store all the components of this healthy taco recipe separately.
The jackfruit taco filling will keep for up to 5 days stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Make the guac, squeeze a bunch of lime on top, cover with plastic wrap directly touching the surface, and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Store the corn tortillas wrapped in plastic wrap on your kitchen counter.
When ready to eat the jackfruit tacos, simply warm the corn tortillas, heat up your filling, and dollop with the guacamole. It’s a quick and easy meat-free lunch or dinner to enjoy throughout the week!
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pineapple Steak Tacos
- Sous Vide Asian Short Rib Tacos
- Blackened Cod Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- Chipotle Cod Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
- Tequila Beer Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
If you make this Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Taco recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! Please share with all friends in the comments below!Print
These easy Chipotle BBQ Jackfruit Tacos taste just as if you were eating pulled pork! Secretly vegan too, so you can fool all your friends!
For chipotle bbq jackfruit ‘meat’:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 cans jackfruit, in brine, preferably Trader Joe’s brand
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1–2 Tablespoons canned chipotle adobo liquid (more or less if you like it spicy)
½ can of light beer
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup your favorite bbq sauce
For mango guacamole:
2 avocados, mashed
¼ red onion, finely diced
½ jalapeno, minced
Juice from 1 lime
½ teaspoon salt
Handful of cilantro, chopped
½ cup mango chunks, finely diced
- In a cast iron skillet heat oil on medium heat. Add in onion and cook for 5-10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in jackfruit, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and chipotle adobo liquid. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in beer and broth and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes on a low simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off. Stir in bbq sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a molcajete smash avocados until chunky and creamy. Add in red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, salt, and cilantro. Top with mango chunks and serve.
- Heat corn tortillas over an open flame, top with two spoonfuls of chipotle bbq jackfruit and a dollop of mango guacamole. If desired, serve with extra bbq sauce.
Use vegetable broth to make this recipe vegan.
Keywords: Jackfruit Tacos, Jackfruit Tacos Recipe, Jackfruit Pulled Pork, Jackfruit Pulled Pork Recipe, Vegan Jackfruit Tacos