This chipotle chicken avocado melt recipe takes your classic nostalgic grilled melty grilled cheese to another level. Filled with an easy chipotle mayo, saucy bbq chicken and creamy California Avocado slices. Every bite is oozing with flavor and this sandwich takes just five minutes to prep!
A big thank you to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post, all opinions posted are my own.
To ensure you’re enjoying locally grown avocados, be sure to check for California on the label from spring through summer!
This chipotle chicken avocado melt is a must make!
So nostalgic: I grew up a total grilled cheese kid. My Mom always used to make them for us on the weekends for lunch or if we stayed home sick, with warm tomato soup. It’s a comfort food classic that always gives me a taste of home. This leveled-up grilled cheese has all the same flavors of nostalgia with tons of added flavor.
Hearty, healthy and hits the spot: This sandwich is HEARTY without being over the top. I love that it’s got a great amount of protein, full of flavor and leaves me feeling like I ate something delicious and nutritious.
Yes, it is very similar to the Panera Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt: If you have a soft spot for this restaurant classic, try this easy (and better!) made at home version;ade with similar ingredients and packs just as much flavor.
Easy to make! This sandwich takes five minutes or less to prep and is full of pantry staples. Use up leftover chicken (or rotisserie) and easy ingredients like mayo, canned chipotle adobo sauce, and sourdough bread to put together this easy grilled cheese masterpiece.
Use up your leftovers! I almost always have a 1/2 of an avocado in the fridge from breakfast or a salad and this is the PERFECT way to use it up. Slice a creamy California Avocado thinly onto one side for added flavor, creaminess and protein in this sandwich.
What’s in a chipotle chicken avocado melt?
- Butter- In my opinion, the key to a perfectly golden sandwich.
- Sourdough bread- Any sturdy white bread will work for this sandwich but I love the tangy flavor of sourdough. Swap it out for focaccia, ciabatta or french bread for a good variation.
- Mayonnaise- The base for the spicy chipotle sauce
- Canned Chipotle adobo Liquid– A little goes a long way… canned chipotle adobo liquid is the perfect way to add extra flavor, a spicy kick and smokiness to any dish. Use more or less depending on your spice preference.
- Colby jack cheese – A perfect ‘melting’ cheese. Great for grilled cheese and warm sandwiches. You could also swap it out for cheddar, gouda or fontina for equal meltiness.
- Ripe,Fresh California Avocados – Truly the star of the sandwich. Creamy, fresh avocado slices embedded into every bite of the sandwich for added freshness, flavor, nutrition and protein.
- Shredded chicken – Use whatever you have! I always go for a rotisserie chicken, but if you have leftover chicken, this is the perfect way to use it up!
- Bbq sauce- You’ll just need a little! Use your favorite brand and mix it up with your chicken for a saucy bite.
How to make a chipotle chicken avocado melt?
- Prep your bread: Spread butter thinly on one side of each sourdough bread slice and set aside.
- Make your chipotle mayo: In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and canned chipotle liquid. Smear chipotle mayo evenly onto both sides of the unbuttered side of bread.
- Add the cheese: On one bread slice, sprinkle the shredded Colby jack cheese evenly.
- Extra Avocado Please! Top cheese with 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado thinly sliced.
- Prepare the chicken: In a small bowl mix together shredded chicken and bbq sauce together. Add the chicken onto the other slice of bread and put the slices together to form a sandwich.
- Cook until golden brown on each side: Heat a heavy bottom skillet on medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sandwich to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side on medium heat or until the bottom is golden brown.
- For extra melty cheese: Add in 1 tbsp of water to the bottom of the pan and place a lid over the sandwich. The steam from the water will help melt the cheese and make the sandwich cheesy and gooey. Remove from the pan and serve with a pickle and/or tomato soup.
What’s in the chipotle chicken avocado melt at Panera:
Chances are if you’ve been to Panera you’ve ordered the legendary ‘chipotle chicken avocado melt’. My recipe is super similar but a bit easier to make at home and with less ingredients, but full of flavor!
A Panera chipotle chicken avocado melt comes with: peppadew peppers, chipotle sauce, gouda, cilantro, pulled chicken, and avocado.
- Add Bacon: Honestly always a solid choice. I love adding bacon to a sandwich for extra flavor and heartiness.
- Cheese: Swap in any of your favorite melty cheeses. Cheddar, Fontina, and Gouda are all great cheeses to melt in a sandwich with.
- Different Bread: You can use any heart white bread. If you don’t love sourdough try focaccia, ciabatta or sliced french bread.
Best things to serve the sandwich with:
- Tomato Soup
- Vegan lemon herb pasta salad
- Minestrone Soup
- Broccolini Salad
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
2 tbsp butter, divided and softened
2 slices of sourdough bread, (or other sliced white bread)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tsp canned chipotle adobo sauce, divided
½ cup shredded colby jack cheese
1 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, thinly sliced
½ cup cooked shredded chicken
2 tbsp bbq sauce
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter thinly on one side of each sourdough bread slice and set aside. Place the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into a heavy bottom skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and chipotle adobo sauce. Smear chipotle mayo evenly onto both sides of unbuttered side of bread.
- On one bread slice, sprinkle the shredded Colby jack cheese evenly.
- Top cheese with 1/2 fresh California avocado thinly sliced.
- In a small bowl mix together shredded chicken and 2 tbsp of bbq sauce until well combined. Add the chicken onto the other slice of bread and put the slices together to form a sandwich.
- Heat heavy bottom skillet on medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sandwich to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side on medium heat or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Add in 1 tbsp of water to the bottom of the pan and place a lid over the sandwich. The steam from the water will help melt the cheese and make the sandwich cheesy and gooey. Remove from pan and serve with a pickle and/or tomato soup.
- I love using rotisserie chicken for this recipe but feel free to sub in with your favorite chicken or leftover cooked chicken.
Keywords: avocado, sandwich, lunch
Holy chipotle that looks delicious.