2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup coffee or water
4 large eggs
Cadbury Egg Cremè Ganache
12 regular sized cadbury creme eggs
6 Tbs) Heavy Cream
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 Cup chocolate chips
Vanilla Almond Buttercream
2 Sticks / 1 Cup of unsalted butter, at room temp
4 Cups powdered sugar
1/4 Cup milk or half and half
2 Teaspoons almond extract
1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour three 8″ round cake tins.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar.
- Add the butter and mix at low speed for 1 minute. Add the oil and continue mixing until the mixture looks pale.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the vanilla with the milk and coffee (or water), and add two separate increments to the dry ingredients. Mix for 1 minute at low speed, stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then mix for 30 seconds more.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well at medium-high speed between additions. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl, and mix for 30 seconds more. The batter will be thin.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tins. Smooth out the tops of the layers with an offset spatula. Bake for 24 to 26 minutes for 8″ layers.
- The cake is done when the top springs back when very lightly touched in the center, and the edges just begin to pull away from the edge of the pan. A cake tester inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool completely in the tins on a rack before turning out of the pans to frost.
For cadbury egg ganache
- Place all of the ingredients in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water. Stir with a spatula continuously until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a container, and press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the filling. Refrigerate for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until the ganache has firmed up to a spreadable consistency.
- In a large bowl add in room temp butter, almond extract and salt. Beat for 2-3. minutes or until light and fluffy. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time to incorporate. After each powdered sugar addition mix in a bit of milk o half and half. Depending on how dry or moist your climate is you may use more or less milk.