This casserole-style creamy chicken gnocchi bake is an easy comfort food dinner recipe for those cold winter months.
This creamy bake is made with pillow-soft gnocchi, rosemary garlic marinated chicken and a rich cream sauce that will leave you licking your plate clean.
A huge thank you to Roth Cheese for keeping The College Housewife up and running and for providing us with the tastiest cheeses!
This time of year I’m craving a few things:
-Falling asleep with a Christmas movie playing (Home Alone 2 this week) and only the Christmas tree lights on.
-Lighting up all my seasonal candles in the house (9 to be exact).
-Drinking eggnog every weekend in December.
-Extra-long cuddling sessions with Rascal in the morning.
-And making delicious, easy comfort food casserole dishes that are fancy AF but take less than 30 minutes to put together, are you with me?!
‘Fancy casseroles’ are my favorite kind of food during the winter months where you want something that tastes like it’s from your favorite restaurant, makes you feel cozy inside and is easy to put together.
This whole bake comes together in just one cast-iron skillet or casserole dish.
It’s a great recipe for a crowd around the holidays or if you have family coming over for dinner.
This dish has one of those flavor profiles that just work with everyone. Creamy, cheesy, garlicky and pillows of soft gnocchi. The cream sauce has an added boost of flavor with Roth Grand Cru® cheese!
It’s my go-to cheese for all white creamy sauces. It adds a mild alpine-style nuttiness that boosts anything savory to the next level.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Bake:
- Chicken breasts
- Lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre-made gnocchi
- Whole Milk
- Roth Grand Cru® cheese
How to Make Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Bake:
- Marinate chicken, rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter and sear chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown (chicken will continue to cook in the bake). Remove chicken and melt additional butter.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted and tender.
- For the cream sauce: melt remaining butter, whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk and heat on medium-high heat until sauce has thickened. Whisk in Roth Grand Cru cheese and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook gnocchi in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Arrange chicken, gnocchi, spinach and cream sauce in a cast-iron skillet or casserole dish. Sprinkle with extra shredded Roth Grand Cru® cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
What does gnocchi taste like?!
Basically soft potato pillows that melt in your mouth. Gnocchi is made with a mixture of flour, riced potato, and egg yolk. Very similar to pasta but a bit softer and chewier.
If you really hate gnocchi you could swap it out with a small pasta noodle.
What goes with this gnocchi bake?
This is a complete dinner but it pairs lovely with a light vegetable side like broccolini or a fresh salad!Print
This casserole style creamy chicken gnocchi bake is an easy comfort food dinner recipe for those cold winter months. This creamy bake is made with pillow soft gnocchi, rosemary garlic marinated chicken and a rich cream sauce that will leave you licking your plate clean.
4–5 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
3 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
Juice from one lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 packages of pre-made gnocchi
4 Tablespoons of butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. fresh minced rosemary
3 1/2 cups whole milk
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of grated nutmeg
2 cups grated Roth Grand Cru® cheese
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. In a medium bowl mix together breasts, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 3 garlic cloves minced, olive oil, and lemon. Cover and let marinate for 30 minutes