This Deviled Egg Potato Salad combines buttery potatoes and sunshine-yellow deviled egg mix for a mash-up of two classic sides best served at summer BBQs.
3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
¼ cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 celery ribs, diced
½ small (1 cup) red onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped + more for garnish
cracked black pepper
- Boil Potatoes: Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Add in 2 tablespoons of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer potatoes until they are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Hard Boil Eggs: Add eggs to a medium pot and fill with water until one inch of water is over the eggs. Bring eggs to a boil. Remove from heat, cover pot and let eggs stand for 8 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl filled with ice water. Cool for 10 minutes, peel the eggs and set aside. Reserve 1-2 eggs for the top of the potato salad.
- Cut hard-boiled eggs in half. Remove the yolks and set them into a medium mixing bowl. Chop the egg whites and set aside.
- To the egg yolks, add in mayonnaise, dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish and apple cider vinegar. Mix and mash together until the mixture is smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in cooked potatoes, egg whites, celery, red onion, chives and mixed mayo dressing. Mix potato salad together until all ingredients are well coated. Note: If you want the texture to be a bit more ‘mashed’, you can mash the ingredients together gently with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste test and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with reserved hard-boiled egg cut in quarters. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and chopped chives.
Whole baby or new potatoes cut in half (or quartered, if large) are a great substitute for the Yukon gold potatoes (no need to peel!).
Keywords: summer, creamy, pickle relish