Easy breakfast burrito filled with chicken sausage and turkey bacon. These healthier breakfast burritos are perfect for hangover mornings and freeze easily for an on the go weekday breakfast!
Last Saturday I pretty much dropped everything I had scheduled and went to brunch with some friends. Afterward, we went out to a few bars in Newport Beach (totally forgot it was St. Patty’s day) and then back home for a walk into Old Towne with the pups. My friend Sierra has an English cream golden retriever who has since become Rascal’s girlfriend. It’s all very cute and I hope they have a dog wedding this summer. It’s a good excuse to throw a party, okay?!
We went to a new brunch place called ‘Sol’ right on PCH. It was new for me but not for everyone else. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed. I skipped over the mimosas and went straight to frozen margaritas (OMG SO YUM!). Some of my other friends ordered chilaquiles and huevos rancheros but I opted for a breakfast burrito filled with black beans, bacon, pico, cheese, and avocado. It was so simple and delicious.
It has dawned on me that I hadn’t put a good breakfast burrito on the blog. I hope you’re a breakfast person because I am totally a breakfast person, especially on the weekends! And if I have been drinking over the weekend at all, I NEED a good savory breakfast to survive. It’s my ultimate start to hangover cure.
I feel like a breakfast burrito is pretty heavy as is so I wanted to lighten them up and make them a bit healthier. Believe me, they are hearty enough for a hangover breakfast but also protein packed for a great weekday breakfast-on-the-go! I opted for chicken sausage links and turkey bacon as my protein for something a little lighter and less greasy. You can even make these low carb by replacing the beans or potatoes with extra eggs and protein.
If you’re making these breakfast burritos for the week and freezing them just be sure to wrap them tightly in foil and place into a Tupperware or plastic bag once they enter in the freezer. Once you’re ready to reheat unwrap them from the foil and into a damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes in the microwave.
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 8 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 lb of turkey bacon, cooked
- 1//2 lb of cooked chicken sausage, cubed (I used a pre packaged sausage)
- 2 Cups of smashed black beans (canned ok)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 Cups of diced potatoes (sometimes I use frozen when I'm short on time)
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Cups of shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
- 1 Avocado, thinly sliced
- Pico De Gallo or Salsa
- Hot Sauce
- Turkey bacon & Black Bean Burritos: scrambled eggs, black beans, cheese, turkey bacon strips, avocado slices, pico de Gallo or salsa
- Chicken Sausage & Potato Burritos: scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, chicken sausage, avocado slices, cheese, pico de Gallo or salsa
- In a large skillet add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook bell pepper and onion on medium heat until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Heat the remaining olive oil and add in potatoes and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until just softened. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add in eggs. Keep eggs moving consistently until cooked, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Heat tortillas on a stove top burner or lightly greased pan until pliable. Layer up each burrito with an even amount of ingredients and fold. Heat each burrito up in a oiled pan for 1-2 minutes (or the microwave for 1 min if you're short on time) to melt everything together. Serve with lots of hot sauce.
- *If freezing, I omit the avocado and salsa and add it on top fresh once the burritos are reheated.
- *Burritos will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and freeze up to 4 weeks.