An easy Pecan Pie recipe with brown sugar is so much more abundant and flavorful than the traditional southern pie. With the addition of browned butter, maple syrup, and an award-winning homemade pie crust, it has become a family favorite! Serve it as a rich and decadent dessert for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
My grandmother’s husband, Norval, is a pecan pie lover and we always make him one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Norval may be married by family, but he is bound to us in every way. We got a lot closer this year after my Nanna’s stroke in September and I couldn’t be more grateful that my nanna has Norval. He is an extremely hard worker, a Vietnam vet, smart as a whip and just an all-around great guy.
A Pecan pie recipe is a dessert that he grew up with for the holidays (we actually didn’t make a ton growing up!) and year after year he tells us that the absolute best part is the filling! So each year I try and make the filling more rich, abundant and flavorful. That’s where the brown sugar and maple syrup come into play! 😉
What Is Pecan Pie Filling Made Of?
A traditional, southern pecan pie recipe is made with pecans mixed with eggs, butter and Karo corn syrup. But as I like to make the filling super rich and flavorful, I include browned butter, brown sugar and maple syrup for more complex flavor.
Easy Pecan Pie Recipe Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour
- Butter (yes, more butter! It’s the holidays, after all!)
- Brown Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Corn Syrup
- Heavy Whipping Cream
How To Make The Simple Pecan Pie Recipe
- First, make the crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or two forks, blend cold, cubed butter into flour mixture. Slowly add the ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms. The amount of water you use will vary based on climate – but more on this in a bit! Form two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Remove one disk of pie dough from the fridge and roll out on a well-floured surface. Roll the pie dough around your rolling pin and transfer to your prepared pie pan, tucking in the edges and cutting off the excess dough.
- Second, make the pecan pie recipe filling: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and continue cooking until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Watch the butter closely, as it can burn easily! Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar and salt. Stir in corn syrup, maple syrup, cream and browned butter. Mix in the pecans. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie crust. Bake 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and filling is set. Cool completely and enjoy!
How To Make The Best Pie Crust?
There are a number of contributing factors to a successful pie crust, but the most important one is moisture. It all depends on if you live in a dry or moist climate. This will alter the amount of water you need. A good rule of thumb to follow – add the ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until you are able to squeeze the crust between your fingers and it forms a smooth dough.
How Can You Tell When The Filling Is Done?
An easy pecan pie recipe is done when it is solid in the center and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If you want to get super technical with it, the internal temperature should be 200 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
Can I Make This Thanksgiving Pie Ahead?
Yes! This simple pecan pie recipe actually tastes better when you make it 1 day ahead since the flavors have more time meld together. Cool completely, cover loosely and store on your kitchen counter until ready to serve!
Tips For The Best Pecan Pie Recipe:
- Placing the oven rack in the bottom third of your oven prevents blind baking the pie crust! Since it is closer to the heat source, the crust will become super golden brown – no soggy bottom for this holiday pie!
- I used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar can also be used for a super molasses-y pecan pie recipe.
- If you find the crust is getting too dark, tent with foil around the edge to prevent over-browning.
More Pie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Spiced Ginger Pear and Cranberry Pie
- Apple Blackberry Pie
- Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust
- Mini Pumpkin Pies with Brown Sugar Meringue
If you make this Easy Pecan Pie recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! Please share with all fraaands in the comments below! For more easy recipes and ideas, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, too! ♥Print
Easy Pecan Pie Recipe with Brown Sugar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 9 inch pie 1x
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
An easy Pecan Pie recipe with brown sugar is super flavorful with the addition of maple syrup in the filling and a homemade pie crust.
For pie crust:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (more for surface dusting)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), cubed and cold
1/4 cup ice water
1 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups of pecans
Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender, blend butter and flour until crumbles form. Slowly add in your ice water, a little at a time, incorporating with your pastry blender after each pour. The dough can vary in consistency because of climate (if you live in a dry climate you may need a little more water or less in a moist climate). Form into two disk shapes, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
Bring one dough disk to room temp and roll out on a well-floured surface (save the other for another pie!). The dough may seem tough to roll out, but apply pressure. Roll your 9-inch dough around your rolling pin and roll over your pie dish. Set into the fridge until filling is ready.
Filling: Melt butter in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until butter turns golden brown (nut colored), about 4 minutes (do not burn.)
Remove from heat and let stand until cooled but not set, about 10 minutes. Position the rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 375°F.
Whisk the eggs, brown sugar and salt until well blended in a medium bowl. Stir in both syrups, cream and browned butter. Mix in the pecans. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is set, about 35 minutes. Cool completely.
Pie can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely and store at cool room temperature.
Keywords: Easy Pecan Pie Recipe, Best Pecan Pie Recipe, Simple Pecan Pie Recipe, Pecan Pie with Brown Sugar, Thanksgiving Pie Recipe