These delicious homemade gluten free cinnamon rolls will warm up the coldest of winter days. Glazed in icing with a hint of espresso, these warm, fluffy cinnamon rolls are a family favorite at any breakfast, brunch or holiday gathering.
1 cup warm milk, warmed to 110°-115°F
1 packet active dry yeast
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, whisked
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum (if flour doesn’t have it)
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
pinch of salt
2 tsp instant espresso powder
- For dough: Add white sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and pour warm milk over. Stir to combine. Pour the yeast in and set aside until bubbly, about 5-10 mins.
- Add the melted butter to the yeast mixture. Stir in whisked eggs and apple cider vinegar. Add in gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, and xantham gum if your gluten-free flour does not contain it. Attach the bread hook to the mixer and mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl and is soft. It should not feel dry but a bit sticky.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl and transfer dough to bowl. Cover and place in a warm, dry spot, I place mine in an unheated oven. Let the dough rise for 1 hour. it may take a little longer to rise, but the dough should be a bit puffier and should leave an indentation when poked. It will not double in size.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, add in brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter to a small bowl. Whisk together with a small whisk or spatula until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Lightly coat a 9×13” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Lay a 12×16” piece of parchment paper on the counter. Scrape the dough on top. Press the dough to fit the parchment sheet; the dough should be about 12×16” as well.
- Evenly spread the cinnamon filling on the rectangle of dough with an offset spatula.
- Carefully, use the parchment sheet to begin rolling the dough. Use the parchment to fold over the first 1” or so of the short side with filling all the way to the edge. Continue rolling the dough by folding the parchment over to the other side.
- Cut the roll into 8-10 equal pieces. Place evenly into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. They will not puff up like regular cinnamon rolls, but will rise and puff and should be slightly golden brown.
- For Icing: Add cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl and beat until combined and smooth. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk and salt; beat on medium speed until combined. If desired, add in instant espresso powder for a smooth coffee finish.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before smearing frosting.
Keywords: gluten free, cinnamon rolls, cinnamon roll, breakfast, brunch, cinnamon, roll