This Healthy Taco Salad is a layer-upon-layer of crisp, crunchy vegetables, beans, cheese and seasoned ground turkey all tossed with a homemade creamy avocado dressing. Enjoy it as a light lunch or dinner, or store it for meal prep throughout the week!
¼ cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup sour cream
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt
Juice of one lime
¼–½ cup water, depending on consistency preference
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp taco seasoning
¼ cup water
1–2 medium heads romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, diced
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup finely diced red onion
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced, optional
Sour cream, for topping, optional
- Make the dressing: In a food processor, blend together avocado, Greek yogurt, sour cream, cilantro leaves, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and lime juice. Slowly stream in water to thin the dressing out a bit. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to top salads.
- For the turkey: Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add ground turkey, stirring to break up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and water. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until most of the water has been absorbed. Set aside until ready to top on salad.
- Assemble salad: In a large bowl, mix together romaine lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, red onion, black beans, and tortilla chips. Mix together salad with ¼ cup of dressing or serve on the side. Top salads with ground turkey, jalapeno, and sour cream, if desired, before serving.
- Salad Dressing: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Ground Turkey: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Salad: Prep all the veggies and individual ingredients. Store in a large bowl covered with plastic or individual airtight containers in the fridge. Keep the tortilla chips on the kitchen counter.
Keywords: ground turkey, easy, taco seasoning