An easy Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans that’s studded with dried cranberries and festive Fall flavors is sure to be a hit at Thanksgiving or any holiday gathering! Serve it as a hearty and comforting side dish alongside turkey, pork tenderloin, sausage or chicken. Savory and sweet, it’s a homemade stuffing recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
It’s about that time of year when I start gearing up for all the holiday parties and get-togethers with family and friends. Since tradition is always fun, I’d thought I’d share a fantastic Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans. This is a homemade apple stuffing recipe my family has made just about every year for Thanksgiving and to be honest, I just can’t get enough!
It’s the best sweet and savory combo. And the perfect side dish to pair with whatever your choice of meat for the holidays. I could eat this with just about anything – turkey, pork tenderloin, chicken, sausage, all on it’s own. One of my favorite parts is taking the apple stuffing leftovers from Thanksgiving and making those famous leftover turkey sandwiches the next day. Carbs on carbs, isn’t that what the holidays are all about??
I hope this apple stuffing recipe becomes a staple on your holiday table, just like ours!
Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans Ingredients
- French Bread
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Honeycrisp Apple
- Fresh Sage
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- Dried Cranberries
- Chicken Stock
- Melted Butter (yes, more butter!)
How To Make Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread cubes into one even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Use two baking sheets, if necessary. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the butter. Add onion, celery, salt and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add in apple and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the apple is tender.
- In a large bowl, toss the toasted bread cubes, cooked onion-apple mixture, sage, rosemary, thyme, cranberries, pecans, chicken stock and melted butter until evenly coated. Place the apple stuffing into a large casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Stuffing?
The best apples for this from scratch apple stuffing recipe are ones that are both crisp and sweet. That’s why honeycrisp apples are perfect for this Thanksgiving recipe!
What Is The Best Bread To Use For Stuffing?
A nice, crusty French baguette that you can purchase fresh is what I use for this apple stuffing recipe. The real secret is drying out the bread first. Stuffing recipes for turkey are made best with stale bread. You can first cut the bread into cubes and leave it out to stale overnight. Or, for a faster approach, just cube the bread and toast it in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Simple, quick and easy!
Variations For The Best Apple Stuffing Recipe
- Can’t find Honeycrisp apples? Use Gala, Pink Lady, or Granny Smith for a tart apple stuffing.
- Looking for a softer, richer apple stuffing recipe? Use Brioche or Challah, which are both ultra-soft and buttery. Just make sure to dry out the bread cubes overnight or by toasting before tossing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Don’t like pecans? You can easily swap out pecans for any of your favorite nut, such as chopped almonds or walnuts.
- Want to make this Pecan and Cranberry apple stuffing vegetarian? Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock instead.
How To Store The Apple Stuffing with Pecans
This homemade recipe for apple stuffing is best kept wrapped tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I must say – the apple stuffing is fabulous on Thanksgiving, but those leftovers the next day, that’s the good stuff! Stuff your stuffing between soft sweet rolls, with some turkey, cranberry sauce, a few green veggies, and gravy – delish!
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love:
- Fall Harvest Gorgonzola and Apple Salad
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Gruyere and Gouda Bacon Apple Macaroni and Cheese
- Honey Smoked Carrots
If you make this Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! Please share with all fraaands in the comments below! For more easy recipes and ideas, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too! ♥Print
An easy Herb Apple Stuffing with Pecans recipe studded with festive Fall flavors is sure to be a hit at Thanksgiving! Serve with turkey, pork or chicken.
1 loaf French bread, cubed
2 Tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly cracked pepper
1 honeycrisp apple, diced
1 Tablespoon fresh sage, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stems removed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup pecans
3 cups chicken stock
6 Tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread bread out into one even layer (may need two baking sheets). Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
In a saute pan, add in butter on medium heat until melted. Add in onion, celery, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add in apple and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
In a large bowl, toss together toasted bread, sautéed onions, celery, apple, herbs, cranberries, pecans, chicken stock and melted butter. Place into a large casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Use a Brioche or Challah loaf for a richer, buttery flavor.
Keywords: Apple Stuffing, Apple Stuffing Recipe, Cranberry Apple Stuffing, Recipes for Stuffing for Turkey