This Homemade Dog Food Recipe is filled with hearty ground turkey and is all-natural – skip the kibble and try something fresh and full of veggies. Learn all about dog food allergies, best home food for dogs, why it’s cheaper than store-bought and how to store and serve your pups!
2 tbsp olive oil
3 lbs ground turkey
3 medium sweet potatoes
3 carrots, peeled
2 zucchini squash
1 cup broccoli florets
3 cups chicken stock or water (no salt added)
20 ounces cooked macaroni noodles, such as ditalini
- Cook turkey: In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, begin to break it down, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until mostly cooked through.
- Chop veggies: With a food processor, finely chop sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini and broccoli.
- Add vegetables and stock: Add in the chopped vegetables and chicken stock (or water). Cook on a strong simmer for 7-8 minutes, or until veggies are tender and cooked through.
- Stir in pasta: Mix in your cooked pasta noodles to the turkey vegetable mixture.
- Feed your pups: Portion out meals accordingly. For every 10 lbs, you need roughly 1/2 cup of food per meal. Example: If you have a 20 lb dog, they will eat 1-1.5 cups of the batch per meal (2-3 cups total per day). Rascal weighs 70 pounds and eats about 3-3.5 cups per meal (7 cups total per day).
Slow Cooker: Add in all the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours. This does cook down some of the nutrients as the mixture cooks longer but it is can be an easier cooking method depending on your kitchen/time.
Storage: Store in an airtight container or zip-top bags for 5-7 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Reheat: Nuke it for 30-60 seconds in the microwave and cool slightly before serving.
Please note** I am not a veterinarian, just a loving dog Mom and I highly recommend consulting with your vet that practices homemade / human-grade dog food practices before changing your dog’s diet. This meal plan has worked wonderfully for us and I hope it does the same for you.
Keywords: all natural, diy, pet recipes