This homemade dog food recipe is made of ground turkey, sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini squash, broccoli, and macaroni noodles. This large batch recipe comes together in one large pot or can be made in a slow cooker.
2 tbs of olive oil
3 lbs. ground turkey
3 medium sweet potatoes
3 carrots, peeled
2 zucchini squash
1 cup of broccoli florets
3 cups of chicken stock or water (no salt added)
20 ounces of macaroni noodles
- In a large Dutch oven heat oil on medium heat. Add ground turkey, begin to break it down, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until mostly cooked through.
- With a food processor finely chop sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini, broccoli. Add in vegetables and stock to turkey.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and cook on a strong simmer for 7-8 minutes or until veggies are tender and cooked through.
- Mix in your cooked pasta noodles to the turkey vegetable mixture.
- Portion out meals accordingly. For every 10 lbs is roughly 1 cup of food per meal. Example: If you have a 20 lb dog they will eat 2 cups of the batch per meal (4 cups total per day).
Slow Cooker: Yes you can make homemade dog food in a slow cooker. Add in all the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours. This does cook down some of the nutrients as the mixture cooks longer but it is can be an easier cooking method depending on your kitchen/time.
Please note** I am not a veterinarian, just a loving dog Mom and I highly recommend consulting with your vet that practices homemade / human-grade dog food practices before changing your dog’s diet. This meal plan has worked wonderfully for us and I hope it does the same for you.