This little hot chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream is designed to look just like a cup of hot cocoa. Made with rich chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream and topped with lots of marshmallows for a signature look.
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 whole eggs, at room temp
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Hot Chocolate Buttercream:
1½ cup (3 Sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
⅔ cup ghirardelli Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
¼ cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ cup heavy cream
5–6 cups powdered sugar
For cake topping:
Marshmallows (small and large)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour three 6-inch cake tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl fitted with a stand of hand mixer, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Add in the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Beat on medium for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the hot coffee last with a wooden spoon of spatula. Mixture will be very thin.
- Pour batter evenly into cake tins and bake for 25-30 inutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake tins for 20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- In a large bowl beat butter for buttercream on medium high for 2-3 minutes or until butter is light and fluffy.
- Add in hot cocoa mix, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly add in 2-3 increments of powdered sugar and heavy cream, mixing after each addition. Beat until all ingredients are incorporated and buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Trim cake tops for a flat surface and begin to frost each layers and around the cake.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of icing on top of the cake to cream dimension for the marshmallows to ‘sit’ on creating the mug of a hot cocoa effect.