1 cup water
3–4 drops liquid smoke
3 lbs bone in chicken (thighs, drumsticks, breasts, etc)
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 –1 cup your fav BBQ sauce
- Add water, liquid smoke to the bottom of the instant pot.
- In a small bowl mix together dry rub ingredients: brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Rub the dry mixture on both sides of chicken pieces.
- Place your chicken into the instant pot in a single layer, close the lid.
- Set the pressure vent to sealing.
- Press pressure cook on High for 12 minutes.
- The screen will read ‘ON’.
- The instant pot will take about 8-10 minutes to come to pressure and then the 12 minute cook time (about 20 minutes total).
- After the chicken is finished cooking the instant pot will alert you and the screen will say OFF.
- Wait a couple of minutes and then slowly release the pressure valve to the venting position.
- Place cooked chicken on a sheet pan, slather with bbq sauce and then broil or grill chicken for 4-5 minutes to get the chicken a bit crispy on top.
Frozen Chicken: If you’re using chicken that is frozen, be sure to separate the pieces before cooking and cook for an additional 3 minutes (15 minutes total).
Keywords: pressure cooker, bbq, easy