An easy Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie with peanut butter, pretzels and browned butter is ooegy, gooey, and irresistible! Based off of the famous pizookie, baking a chocolate chip cookie in a cast iron skillet is perfect for parties and get-togethers. It’s time to channel our inner Martha Stewart for a dessert recipe that’s cozy and warm (literally)!
So Jared and I ventured out last week to grab a quick weeknight dinner at BJ’s. We don’t eat at a lot of chain restaurants, but we thought we’d give it a shot. Plus, I was so intrigued by the ‘pizookie’ situation. Every other waitor coming out had one in their hand and it smelled AMAZING. So of course, I ordered one. And it was fabulous! But I knew I had to take matters into my own hands and create a skillet chocolate chip cookie at home.
But I didn’t just want a plain old chocolate chip cookie in a skillet. I wanted to amp up the flavors! So peanut butter, pretzels, and browned butter it is! It just made this cookie skillet recipe even more ooegy, gooey, and buttery – which is what we want!
It’s finally getting into the Fall season over here in California and nothing says cozier than a skillet cookie. My friends simply devoured it!
What Is A Pizookie?
I’d actually never heard of a pizookie until we ventured out to BJ’s. But basically, it’s a mash-up of a pizza and a cookie. A delicious, gooey, deep-dish chocolate chip cookie eaten straight out of the oven. Is there anything better??
This is based off of the perfect BJ’s pizookie recipe.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt
- Light Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dark Chocolate Chunks
- Crushed Up Pretzels
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Vanilla Ice Cream
How To Make The Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat to make brown butter. Make sure to watch it closely, as the butter burns easily! As soon as it turns a light, golden brown color, remove from the saucepan into a glass bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Once the brown butter is cool, whisk in eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold until just combined. Add chocolate chunks and pretzels and mix in to the cookie dough.
- Press half of the cookie dough mixture into the cast iron skillet. Evenly dollop with peanut butter into the center. Top with the remaining cookie dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with extra crushed-up pretzels, peanut butter and scoops of vanilla ice cream while still warm. Enjoy!
Tips For The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie In A Skillet
- Use either a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and check the skillet chocolate chip cookie after 20 minutes. The 10 inch skillet will take a few minutes longer to bake than the 12 inch. When it’s golden brown all over, but still gooey in the center, you know it’s done!
- Don’t have a cast iron skillet? Use any oven-proof skillet you have in your pantry.
- Use any of your favorite blend of chocolate. I really like dark chocolate, but mix it up with milk or white chocolate, too! A combination of all three would be AH-mazing!
- Creamy peanut butter works best because it melts so smooth. I really like Natural Jif or Skippy.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Brown Butter and Salted Caramel Filled Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Browned Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
- Nutella Filled Pumpkin Cookies
If you make this Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! Please share with all fraaands in the comments below! For more easy recipes and ideas, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, too! ♥
An easy Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie (aka pizookie) is amped up with peanut butter, pretzels and browned butter that’s ooegy, gooey, and irresistible!
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 whole eggs
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
1 cup crushed up pretzels + more for topping
½ cup creamy peanut butter + more for topping
Vanilla Ice Cream, for topping
In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Melt/brown the butter until it just starts to turn a light amber color. Be careful! The butter can burn very easily! Remove the butter from the pan and into a separate large glass bowl to cool. While butter is cooling prepare the rest of the dough ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a small-medium cast iron skillet with butter or non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. Add eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to the melted butter and whisk together. Add wet ingredient mixture to flour mixture and fold to combine. Add in chocolate chunks and pretzel pieces to cookie dough.
Press half of the cookie dough mixture into the skillet and dollop the peanut butter evenly into the center. Top with the remaining cookie dough and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Drizzle with extra pretzels, peanut butter and scoops of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Use any of your favorite combination of chocolate, such as milk, white, and dark.
Keywords: Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie, Chocolate Chip Cookie in Skillet, Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, Chocolate Chip Cookie in Cast Iron Skillet, Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe