This Smoked Salmon Bagel with Mashed Avocado is a quick and easy healthy breakfast that can be made in less than 10 minutes or turned into a Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar! I like to think of it as a fancier version of Avocado Toast. If you transform it into a super cute board or platter (aka the new grazing table), this recipe is perfect for any party, brunch, or small get together with family and friends!
Each week is usually filled with tons of photo shoots for The College Housewife, as well as numerous client projects. My assistant, Abbie, and I love to start off long shoot days with a little ‘Avocado Toast Chopped Challenge’. We’ve been taking turns making each other a quick avocado toast with a different variation each time. We’ve done a classic, a Mexican, and this week, we tried out a smoked salmon bagel avocado toast version! I love these because they’re quick for a great weekday breakfast or you can easily turn this healthy breakfast into a great smoked salmon bagel bar!
Grazing tables are now the new craze when it comes to hosting a party or small get together. It’s like a GIANT DIY board. This new and improved smoked salmon bagel bar would kinda be like my DIY: Lox & Bagel Bar with the volume turned wayyyy up! So much more fun and much better for you with all the mashed avocado and veggie toppings! Plus, the cool thing about it is that you can get creative with the bagels and toppings.
Buy an assortment of bagels or get really cute with mini bagels or sweet bagels! Toppings are pretty much anything goes too (you could even add on classics like cream cheese, capers, and dill), but don’t forget the avocado! That’s definitely the star of the show!
The Best Smoked Salmon Bagel with Mashed Avocado
I don’t know about you, but there is something about smoked salmon and mashed avocado that works so well together. It’s like a healthier version of lox and cream cheese. The creamy and buttery avocado topped with the smokey, briny salmon just sings all things breakfast to me! Topping it with an egg, fresh cucumber, radish slices, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes just makes it all the more delicious and turns it into a complete meal.
To Toast or Not to Toast
I leave the choice up to you! Abbie and I really enjoy our bagels toasted, as it adds more of a crunch factor and makes the bagel taste more…bagel-ly. But I know some people like to enjoy their bagels un-toasted because they like the crunchy crust of the bagel with the soft interior. If you do decide to toast your bagel, toast it in a toaster oven or in a 375-degree oven for about 4-5 minutes. Then, assemble your smoked salmon avocado bagel with toppings as soon as you can so you get the contrast of the warm, toasty bagel vs the cold smoked salmon, cucumber, and radish. It is so divine!
A Platter to Go with Lox and Bagels
Speaking of assembling, this got me thinking…cheese and cracker boards are so much fun, so why not turn this recipe into a DIY platter with all the toppings on the side so your friends and family can get creative with it?! This turned Abbie and my Chopped Challenge into a whole new adventure!
What You Need for a Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar
For every 8 people, you will need the following:
- 8 Assorted Bagels of Choice, sliced in half & toasted (or 16 mini bagels)
- 2 lbs Thin Sliced Smoked Salmon
- 2 Persian Cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 Bunch Radishes, thinly sliced
- 6-8 Avocados, mashed and mixed with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent browning
- 2 Lemons, cut into wedges
- Salt & Pepper, in little bowls
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Hot Sauce
- Classic Toppings, like cream cheese, dill, and capers
(Note: I omitted the eggs for the smoked salmon bagel bar version, to make it quick and easy.)
A Few Tips for Making the Best Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar
- Fresh bagels are a must, so make sure to pick an assorted variety at your favorite bagel shop the morning you are going to make this beautiful smoked salmon bagel bar. For a super cute option, purchase mini bagels instead! Or, for your friends with a sweet tooth, add some sweet bagels!
- As soon as you mash your avocado, mix it with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in cute, little bowls make it easier for your guests to season their smoked salmon bagels to their liking.
- A variety of cream cheese is always a nice touch, like chive or veggie.
- To serve, a large wooden cheese board makes a beautiful presentation. If you don’t have one, a super cute platter or baking sheet covered in parchment paper work just as well.
Hope you enjoy this simple, healthy breakfast as much as Abbie and I do! I will keep you posted about our next Avocado Toast Chopped Challenge!
Other breakfast ideas:
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins with Almond Flour
- Bourbon Biscuits and Sage Sausage Gravy
- Strawberry Lemon Pancakes
This Smoked Salmon Bagel with Mashed Avocado is a quick and easy healthy breakfast that can be made in less than 10 minutes or turned into a Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar!
Salt & Pepper
2 Bagels, cut in half
4 ounces Smoked Salmon
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Hot Sauce (optional)
- In a small bowl, smash avocados until smooth, but still a bit chunky for texture. Season with a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Lightly toast bagel halves in a toaster oven or 375 degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Pile on avocado mixture. Add 2-3 small pieces of smoked salmon and cucumber ribbons onto mashed avocado.
Top with an egg of your choice and sliced radishes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Optional: A sprinkling of red pepper flakes and/or drizzle of your favorite hot sauce.
For a Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar version, check out the bullet point list in the post!
Keywords: Smoked Salmon Bagel, Smoked Salmon Bagel with Mashed Avocado, Smoked Salmon Avocado Bagel, Smoked Salmon Bagel Bar, Smoked Salmon Bagel Board, Smoked Salmon Bagel Platter