These Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats are a healthy, homemade and low-carb weeknight dinner that gives you that same cheesy, saucy, meaty lasagna appeal. Serve it up during spaghetti squash season for a golden, Italian-inspired meal any night of the week.
2 medium spaghetti squash
4 garlic cloves, cut in half
1 tsp olive oil, plus more for coating the squash
1 small onion, diced
1 lb spicy Italian ground sausage
1 – 24 oz jar marinara sauce
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Fresh basil, for garnish
- Par-cook squash: Pierce spaghetti squash with a fork all around the outside of the squash. Place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes. Let cool for five minutes.
- Prep the equipment: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Bake squash: With a sharp chef’s knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. Rub flesh sides with a light drizzle of olive oil and rub with garlic cloves. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until squash can easily be shredded off with a fork.
- Shred the squash noodles: Let squash cool for 10 minutes and shred the insides and set aside in a separate bowl. Should yield about 4-5 cups of shredded squash.
- Cook the sausage: While the squash is baking, begin to prepare the Italian sausage marinara mixture. In a large saute pan, add olive oil and onion and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add in the ground sausage and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook onions and sausage for 8-10 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through. Drain any excess grease out of the pan.
- Finish the meat sauce: Add the marinara sauce into the Italian sausage and the shredded insides of the spaghetti squash. Mix sausage, spaghetti squash and marinara sauce together and bring mixture to a light simmer. Cook mixture for 5-8 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Fill the squash: Arrange the hollow spaghetti squashes on a large baking sheet and adjust the oven to broil. Spoon mixture evenly into the hollowed-out spaghetti squash.
- Top with cheese: Dollop the tops of the squashes with ricotta cheese and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Broil: Broil for 5-10 minutes, or until the top is bubbly and brown.
- Finish and serve: Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheating Instructions: Place in a 350 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through. Alternatively, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high in 1-minute increments, until the squash is warmed through.
Keywords: low carb, meat sauce, cheese