This Spicy Pumpkin Soup is lusciously creamy with warm, savory flavor and kick of heat, then topped with the ultimate and adorable grilled cheese croutons!
For pumpkin soup:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your spicy level)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup heavy cream, optional, plus more for serving
grilled cheese croutons, recipe follows
flakey sea salt, such as Maldon
For grilled cheese croutons:
2 tablespoons butter
2 slices sourdough bread
2 slices cheddar cheese
To make pumpkin soup:
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, thyme, salt, black pepper, cumin, ginger, nutmeg and cayenne. Cook over medium-low heat for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the maple syrup. If a smoother texture soup is desired, transfer to a blender or Vitamix. Puree until it reaches your desired consistency. Return the puree back to the dutch oven and check for seasoning.
- If a creamier texture is desired, add in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with grilled cheese croutons, extra cream and flakey sea salt, if desired.
To make grilled cheese croutons:
- Butter two slices of sourdough bread on each side. Add in two slices of cheddar cheese (or your choice of cheese).
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add in grilled cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Slice grilled cheese up into small square portions for ‘croutons’.
Store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make the croutons fresh on the day you are going to serve.
Nutrition info is based on 4 servings.
Keywords: fall squash, cheesy croutons, puree