These Spicy Shrimp Tacos feature chipotle-scented shrimp nestled between a garlic cilantro lime slaw and avocado crema wrapped in charred corn tortillas.
1 lb shrimp, peeled + deveined
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo liquid
1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
2 teaspoons lime juice
For slaw + sauce:
½ cup greek yogurt
1 avocado, pitted
Juice from one lime
1 garlic clove
½ cup cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
cracked black pepper
2 cups coleslaw mix
For finishing and toppings:
1 tablespoon olive oil
8–10 corn tortillas
cotija cheese, crumbled
- Marinate the shrimp: In a medium bowl, toss shrimp together with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, chipotle in adobo liquid, brown sugar or honey and lime juice until evenly coated. Let shrimp marinate while preparing slaw and sauce.
- Prep the avocado sauce: Place the greek yogurt, avocado, lime juice, garlic clove, cilantro, salt and a few turns of cracked black pepper into a food processor. Blend on high until the sauce is smooth and fluffy. If the sauce is too thick, thin it out with 1 teaspoon of water at a time until dressing consistency is reached. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide half the sauce over the slaw mixture and stir together. Save the other half for topping on tacos.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in shrimp and marinade contents. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque in the center.
- Char corn tortillas on an open gas flame or in a dry skillet.
- Pile slaw, a few pieces of shrimp, avocado slices and extra sauce into corn tortilla. Top with a small crumble of cotija cheese and Sriracha, if using.
The shrimp will last for about 3 days, while the slaw and crema will keep for 5 days all stored in separate containers in the fridge.
Nutrition info based on 2 tacos each with toppings.
Keywords: cilantro lime slaw, corn tortillas, seafood