Spicy tuna croquettes are cozy, comfort food classic that can be served up as an easy party appetizer or side dish. These tender, lightly fried croquettes are made with jalapeno for a nice kick and served along side a bright soy sauce dipping sauce.
For the sauce:
½ cup of soy sauce (low sodium)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
1/2 tsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 green onion or 3 chives (finely chopped)
(2) 5 oz Cans Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore
1 medium russet potato peeled and cut into chunks
2 eggs, whisked
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 jalapeno, finely diced + more for garnish
1 small shallot, grated
1/2 cup vegetable oil or neutral oil
- For the sauce: in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, honey, sriracha, sesame seeds and green onion and set aside.
- For the croquettes: Peel and dice russet potato. Bring a small sauce pan of water to a boil, add in the potato chunks and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk together. In another bowl, add the bread crumbs, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper. Set both bowls aside.
- Drain the tuna and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add the cooked potatoes, cayenne pepper, 1 tsp kosher salt 1/2 tsp black pepper, jalapeno and shallot.
- Mix well and mash tuna & potatoes with a hand masher or a fork.
- Form the tuna balls by squeezing them first then forming into small balls or logs.
- Dredge each croquette evenly into the egg mixture and then into the panko mixture until evenly coated.
- In a medium frying pan add in 1/2 cup of neutral oil, like vegetable and heat over medium high heat. Lightly fry each croquette for 1-2 minutes on each side or until all sides are golden brown. Cook in batches if need be, do not over crowd the pan. Add in more oil when needed.
- Drain onto a paper towel lined plate before transferring to a serving platter and serving with dipping sauce.
Keywords: tuna, croquette, appetizer, panko