Truffle Herb Butter Cornish Hens are the perfect main dish recipe if you’re planning to keep your holidays small and simple this year. Cooked to perfection with a delicious butter, herb, and spice glaze, this mouthwatering Cornish hen recipe pairs beautifully with your favorite vegetables and potatoes.
4 Cornish hens, about 1–½ lbs each
1–2 medium yellow onions, quartered
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 lb baby gold Yukon potatoes, halved
Cracked black pepper
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch thyme
1 lemon, cut into quarters
1 tbsp rosemary, minced
1 tbsp tarragon, minced
10 thyme sprigs
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp truffle oil (can substitute olive oil)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup white wine
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prep the Cornish hens. Open hen packaging and dry all over with paper towels. Tuck wings under chicken. Tie drumsticks together.
- Prep vegetables. In a large roasting pan arrange yellow onions, carrots, and potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and an even sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stuff each lemon wedge into the cavity of the hens.
- Create butter and herb mixture. In a small bowl mix together rosemary, tarragon, thyme, garlic, garlic powder, onions powder, black pepper, kosher salt, truffle oil and unsalted butter.
- Coat the Cornish hens. Drizzle and rub butter mixture all over each hen until evenly coated. Add seasoned hens onto the vegetable potato mixture. Add chicken stock and white wine to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook. Transfer the roasting pan to the preheated oven and bake for 55-65 minutes or until the thermometer registers to 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast.
- Rest and serve. Remove hens from the oven and let them rest for 10-20 minutes. Serve with roasted carrots, onions and potatoes.
The truffle oil is the *fancier* touch for this recipe for the holidays, but it can be swapped with olive oil if needed.
Keywords: Truffle Herb Butter Cornish Hens, cornish hens, cornish hen recipes, how to cook cornish hens, holiday main dish, christmas main dish