This Vegan Corn Chowder is bursting with summer sweet corn, golden potatoes and fresh aromatic vegetables swimming in a silky smooth, coconut milk broth.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, sprigs removed
2 tablespoons flour
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
3 cups vegetable broth
2 golden Yukon potatoes, diced
3 ears fresh corn, husked + kernels sliced off, reserve 1/4 cup corn kernels for garnish
chopped chives, for garnish
parsley, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottom pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the red bell pepper, celery ribs and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle it with salt, cracked black pepper, fresh thyme and flour. Stir together and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, vegetable broth, potatoes, and corn kernels. Stir soup together and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Cover mixture and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Ladle half of the soup mixture into a blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the soup pot and stir to blend together until creamy.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with chives, parsley and more corn kernels!
Be careful when blending hot liquids. I like to remove the blender cap and cover it loosely with a clean kitchen towel to allow steam to escape while blending.
Keywords: summer, coconut milk, yukon gold potatoes