This Vegetarian Baked Beans recipe is tangy, spicy, smoky and sweet (no molasses!) prepared in the oven or slow cooker best served alongside any BBQ spread.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup whiskey or bourbon
½ cup tomato paste
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
⅓ cup maple syrup or brown sugar
2 (15 oz) cans navy or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan or dutch oven (by using a dutch oven you won’t have to transfer the recipe to a casserole dish), heat olive oil on medium-low heat. Add in onions and cook on medium-low for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add in garlic and whiskey. Cook for 30 seconds, or until the pan is deglazed and most of the liquid is burned off.
- Add in tomato paste, soy sauce, mustard and apple cider vinegar. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium-low, or until the tomato paste has thinned out.
- Add in the vegetable broth, smoked paprika, chili powder, liquid smoke, maple syrup and beans. Stir everything together until the beans are well coated.
- Cover the beans and bake for 40-45 minutes. Uncover the beans and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
For Slow Cooker Baked Beans, add all ingredients to the slow cooker, gently mix to combine and cover with the lid. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Serve immediately, still warm and right in the bowl of your slow cooker!
If you need them to be gluten-free too, swap out the soy sauce for tamari or liquid aminos. And make sure to use a certified gluten-free vegetable broth or water (the beans may need a touch more salt if you choose to use water).
Keywords: bbq, canned beans, no molasses