These Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins are speckled with green zucchini and semisweet chocolate chunks that are warmly spiced with cinnamon.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup milk
1 cup finely shredded zucchini, squeezed + drained
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks +more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake sheet with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together sugars, canola oil, egg and milk until smooth.
- Shred zucchini into a fine texture with a box grater. With a cheesecloth or tea towel, squeeze out any excess water from the zucchini and add it into the wet mixture.
- Gently add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake tin about ¾ of the way full. Top with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The muffins will keep in an airtight container for 2 days at room temperature or up to 1 week in the fridge.
For longer storage, cool completely and freeze in a freezer-safe plastic storage bag for up to 3 months. To rewarm, stick them in a 350 degree F oven for 5-7 minutes or pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Nutrition info is based on 1 muffin.
Keywords: box grater, semisweet, summer squash